Monday, August 31, 2015

Life is Good


Had a really neat experience yesterday at church. For some background

to the story, one week before my last transfer I decided to set the
goal of helping 3 people be baptized the last Saturday of my mission.
I was nervous because I knew that I would be sent to a new area and I
didn't know who, or if we would have people to teach but I felt that
the goal would motivate me to work hard and be obedient to the end.
Well, we are on track to hit our goal but yesterday all 3 of our date
sets had to come to church otherwise they wouldn't be able to make
their baptism on the 12th of sept.
    Sunday morning rolls around and we are at church and it's about
8:45. Their ride walks in but unfortunately our investigators weren't
with them. Turns out our ride forgot to pick them up and when we
called, our investigator didn't answer the phone. So my companion and
I sat down in the foyer pretty much as sad as I had ever been. Also we
were fasting yesterday that everything would work out so I was pretty
devastated, because I felt we had worked so hard. Well, as we're
sitting there, at about 8:55, I had the thought, "Just go get them." I
had all these doubts come up like, they live in an apartment building
and we won't be able to get in, plus they aren't answering their phone
and their probably not ready and we will make a member miss the
sacrament. Then I had the thought again, "Just go get them." So we go
grab our ward mission leader and tell him that their is some
investigators waiting for us to go pick them up, but they don't have a
ride (even though we really didn't know if they were coming or not)
and he said he would help.
    So we drive to their apartment building and get there at about
9:05, and church had started 5 minutes earlier. Of course, the
apartment was locked. But thank goodness for Hmong grandma's cooking
soup in a giant cauldron outside at 9 in the morning, because one of
them let us in. When we knocked on the door, there they both were,
ready and waiting for us to take them. So after all that, they did
make it to church, and there baptism interview is now scheduled for
this weekend. It reminded me of the scripture in Nephi 3:7 when Nephi
tells his father that he will do all things that the Lord commands
him. It was such a miracle. I'm so grateful that God is helping elder
Lao and I towards this goal. I don't know what will happen in the next
two weeks, there are still obstacles to come I'm sure, but I now have
seen with my own eyes, that if we keep faith, the Lord will answer our
prayers.
    Congrats to August Jacob Henrie for being the newest addition to
the Henrie clan. I'm excited to be an uncle of 3 now. Tell aunt
heather and uncle Kent that I love them and that I have stayed true to
uncle kent's advice, "The main thing, is to keep the main thing, the
main thing."
    Mom, you asked me to share some impressions of life in this
letter. That's a little broad, so I'm not sure what your looking for,
but I'll do my best:
    Life is good, when you don't make excuses, and do what you know
is right, then it is even better. During my mission I have never seen
the right choice turn out wrong. So I hope to be able to make the
right choice, for the right reasons, with the right attitude, for the
rest of my life. Also, a few nights ago, I read some advice that
Tanner gave to me just a few days before I left, he said, "A mission
is not all about being fast and furious, it is about slowing down, and
ministering to people one at a time, while enjoying every step of the
way." I figure the rest of life is pretty much the same. Thanks for
everything, love y'all.




No comments :

Post a Comment